Sunday, September 9, 2007

Back In The Day

In Seattle in the early 90's, the Posies are recording their major label debut as a low-fi indie record in their living room. I watch them, already knowing that in the future the label will reject it and make them spend a truckload of money recording a new one. Still I wonder where that record is now, can I find it somehow? On Broadway they and their associated scenesters have a diner--at first I don't recognize the building, but then I realize that this was nearly 20 years ago and many things in the neighborhood have changed, and that today this building is a clothing shop or a supermarket or something. Inside, M., my high-school girlfriend, waits tables. She doesn't seem to see me, or else doesn't recognize me. It's morning, I decide to use the shower, which is a totally inaccessible metal cylinder suspended off the ground--you have to stand on a table to use it.