Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Hipster Scene

I'm at a house party with musicians from the local scene. One of them introduces himself to me as Chris or Krist or something, he shows me a routine he used to do where he dances backwards while playing the violin. It is funny and impressive. Later, I am walking home, talking on the cell phone to L. and telling her about the party and meeting this guy. I am wondering if he was actually a member of Nirvana...wasn't the bassist named Krist or something like that? I'm in Bellingham, on 16th, and then walking up the hill to the alley behind my parent's house. I am still talking to L. as I come up to the back driveway. Just as I reach it, a body falls from the sky right in front of me and lands on the cement with a sickening thud. Oh my god, did you see that? gasps L. (apparently watching for me out one of the back windows). I realize it is Amy. Amy, what happened, are you all right? I ask. I move to help her, but she gets up on her own, says nothing, and walks dazedly off the other way down the alley.