Thursday, October 18, 2007

Haunted Living Space

L. and I are going to bed in our apartment. It is a space which seems to be like a classroom or office--windows everywhere with metal blinds, and linoleum tile flooring. After we have turned off the lights I think that I hear a noise. I get out of bed and go towards the front door--I see a human-shaped shadow and I lunge at it. But there is nothing there, and I accidentally knock over one of my bass guitars that is cluttering up the space near the entryway. I curse it loudly as I re-tighten the stand that was holding it. As I do I realize that I've left L. alone and that there's someone in the bedroom. I run back--I see someone sitting on the bed right at L.'s feet--I grab him by the legs and yank him onto the floor, hoping to stun him. But again I am deceived--it's just a pair of pants or a blanket or something that was lying on the bed. L. wakes up. She says, why have you opened the windows? I have not, I say. I turn around, and see that the blinds, which were all closed when I left the bedroom, are all now wide open.