Friday, October 12, 2007

Travel Light

In Edinburgh I arrive at a gathering. I soon realize that I might have missed my flight. We check my tickets and see that I have just under an hour to make it. We dash to the airport and I walk up to a deserted counter. The woman there examines my ticket and announces that the particular flight I was on has been cancelled. Not to worry though, it's a regional flight and they leave every hour or so. I can wait in the transit lounge. I take my bags to the lounge, and sit around and wait. There is a little girl running around. I meet her parents just as they are called to report for their flight and discover via that announcement that her father teaches at the same college as my father. He knows him, "He's our provost," he says, and I say yes, that's him, though in fact this is news to me. We get on the bus that will take us to our aircraft.