Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Anxiety

In a college town. The usual sense of inadequacy: I am going to classes and trying to keep up, but I am almost certainly failing many of them. Will it be okay? I have an international flight soon. L is not concerned -- I am not checking any bags, I have TSA Pre; I can walk right in and just get on the plane. I am eating an odd breakfast -- savory vegetables with hot coffee poured on top -- with another companion at something like the college cafeteria. Do I need to leave for the airport? Not yet, apparently. We go to see a speaker in a Carnegie-Hall like auditorium. We are at the very top row of the last balcony. As I am finding my seat, I hear the drone of speaker, who sounds exactly like Reverend Lovejoy on the Simpsons. This stops me; I listen closer and his voice obligingly becomes somewhat different. I sit down next to L. "How long until my flight leaves?" She looks at her watch. "15 minutes," she says. 15 minutes! That's not enough time! You have to be on board an international flight 30 minutes before takeoff, and I'm not even at the airport yet! How can she let me have wasted this much time? I jump up, "where is the airport from here? Is it close?" Yes, it's right there, she points. I have upset her. I'm on the street trying to run, but it's a dream and all I can do is a leaden amble. This, perhaps, clues me in to the fact that I am dreaming. "You won't find the airport," I tell myself, "You are in an anxiety dream now. You might as well wake up." I decide I want to keep looking for it, and wander about the streets for a few more minutes. But I know I won't make the flight--too much time has gone by. I wake myself up.