Thursday, July 5, 2007

As Seen On T.V.

Mental fervor/brain lock manifested as computer coding problems, something about interlocking squares and software solutions.

In a hospital, first in the TV Show Scrubs, and then Grey's Anatomy. In the latter I am one of the new interns. A gurney rolls by with a crashing patient and they ask me to help, but I beg off saying I'm not actually a doctor. There is a roll call as one by one physicians call off various specialties, and the interns interested in that specialty line up and go off with that instructor. First is surgery, and half the interns follow. Then pediatrics and another half of so move off. Finally I'm left with three other students, having chosen nothing so far. Apparently the last physician leads the remainders--he asks me what I'm interested in and I say, "immunology." This seems to be a reasonable answer, and I'm going to go off on rounds with him, but while putting on gloves I get my hands wet and contaminate myself, and they leave me behind.