Friday, July 6, 2007

Schooled

We're walking out of class on Wednesday (a WWU-like school again); a student tells me the Friday exam has been cancelled. We decide to walk across campus to see a movie. On the way there I stop and help a young girl who's sitting at a picnic table trying to figure out how to multiply and divide with fractions.

L and I are playing chess. The board, instead of being made up of large black and white squares, is made up of many smaller ones--it's still a checkerboard pattern, but the squares are only a few millimeters wide, and a piece will overlap many of them. The rules seem to be that pieces move roughly as they do in normal chess--a castle, say, will occupy a space that's 8 x 8 checked squares, and can move side to side or back and forth in lines drawn out by those 8 squares. A piece can take another piece if it overlaps it on even one square, so in the first move I take L's queen with a pawn or something. I think (smugly) that I will surely trounce her in this game, but as it goes on she seems to be taking as many of my pieces as I am of hers.