Saturday, July 28, 2007

Things That Turned To Dust

L. is working on a presentation of some kind that involves marine photography. We are going through the photographs in a book, and then standing in the water on the shore we are discussing transitions (as if it were powerpoint)--is the music (a Yo La Tengo song) loud enough to cover the ambient noise from the water. I listen carefully and opine at first that it does. Then there's a strange rumbling, I look up and see downtown Seattle across the bay. A huge white cloud is billowing out from around the Queen Anne area, and then I realize it's from collapsing buildings--then I realize all of the skyscrapers are crumbling before my eyes. I hug L. to me, and then a shock wave hits us and sweeps us off our feet. We are momentarily bouyant in the water, and then I wake up, still hearing the Yo La Tengo song in my head.